Présidentielle: Le Pen “annoncera sa décision” après son procès en appel, sans attendre la cassation

Candidate déclarée à la prochaine présidentielle malgré son inéligibilité, Marine Le Pen affirme qu’elle ne se présentera “évidemment pas” si sa peine est confirmée en appel et qu’elle “annoncera donc (sa) décision” dans la foulée, sans attendre une éventuelle cassation.Le Rassemblement national sera fixé sur le nom de sa candidate (ou de son candidat) avant les prochaines vacances d’été. Tel est en tout cas l’agenda fixé par Mme Le Pen dans un entretien au mensuel conservateur Causeur, publié jeudi.Condamnée en première instance – dans l’affaire des assistants parlementaires européens – à une peine d’inéligibilité de cinq ans avec application immédiate, la triple candidate à l’élection présidentielle admet qu’elle ne pourra “évidemment pas” se représenter une quatrième fois si cette peine devait être confirmée en appel.”Je prendrai ma décision de me présenter ou non lors du rendu de l’arrêt de la cour d’appel”, ajoute-t-elle, évacuant l’hypothèse d’un suspense prolongé en cas de pourvoi en cassation. “On ne sait pas quand une telle décision serait rendue et on ne peut pas se lancer dans une campagne présidentielle au dernier moment”, explique-t-elle.Son second procès étant programmé du 13 janvier au 12 février 2026, avec un délibéré attendu quatre mois plus tard, “j’annoncerai donc ma décision cet été”, précise celle qui s’était hissée au second tour en 2017 et en 2022 face à Emmanuel Macron.Un calendrier choisi aussi “pour ne pas hypothéquer la candidature de Jordan Bardella dans le cas où il devrait y aller”, souligne-t-elle, confirmant ainsi le statut de dauphin du jeune président du parti à la flamme.

Tight UK security ahead of match against Israeli club

More than 700 police deployed across the UK city of Birmingham Thursday for protests planned ahead of a football match between Maccabi Tel Aviv and Aston Villa, with visiting Israeli fans barred.The UK government last month vowed to reverse the ban on Maccabi fans attending the Europa League match in the city in central England that has a significant Muslim population after widespread criticism of the decision taken by local safety advisors and police.However, the Israeli club later announced it would decline any tickets for its fans, citing safety concerns.Villa have said they are not selling tickets for the vacant away end of their Villa Park stadium.Birmingham, the UK’s second-largest city, has been the scene of regular pro-Palestinian rallies over the last two years.Close to Villa’s stadium on Thursday there was a large, visible police presence, an AFP correspondent saw.Local police said protests by different groups were scheduled Thursday near Villa Park, including a pro-Palestinian demonstration demanding Israel be excluded from international football.A pro-Israeli group has also organised a Maccabi Solidarity Rally, with both protests set to kick off around 6:00 pm (1800 GMT), two hours before the match is due to begin.”We are experienced at policing high-profile football matches and demonstrations, and for many weeks now, we have been working closely with different faith and local community groups to listen to their views and concerns,” West Midlands Police said in statement.Signs had been hung near the stadium reading “no war games allowed” and “Give Zionism the Red Card”, while channels spearheaded by far-right activist Tommy Robinson have made Islamophobic statements about the match and planned protests.One school near the stadium confirmed to AFP it was closing early to avoid disruption, with others reportedly planning to do the same.- ‘High risk’ -Police have classified the fixture as “high risk”, citing “violent clashes and hate crime offences” during a Europa League match in Amsterdam between Maccabi and local team Ajax last November.That game sparked two days of clashes between locals and Israeli fans in the Dutch city.But ahead of Thursday’s match things were calm in Birmingham.Residents Michael Harrison, 38, and Lisa Evans, 47, working at a small business near Villa Park, were not worried about possible protests.Harrison said Israeli fans should have been given tickets to attend the match.”The game, it’s about bringing people together,” he said, adding he understood the fears but the fans could have been searched properly.Maccabi Tel Aviv’s decision to turn down tickets also came after Israeli police called off an Israeli Premier League match between the club and city rivals Hapoel because of “riots” between rival fans.The team has insisted its supporters were not involved in the unrest and criticised “hate-filled falsehoods” about its supporters for creating a “toxic atmosphere”.Aston Villa have urged supporters not to display political symbols during the match — a practice banned under protocols issued by UEFA, the governing body of European football.Ayoub Khan, the independent MP for the area covering Villa Park who was elected last year on a pro-Palestinian ticket, said there was a “large concentration of Muslims” in the local area who had voiced fears about racism.

La cote de confiance de Macron remonte un peu mais reste très faible, selon un sondage

La cote de confiance du président Emmanuel Macron, qui avait atteint un plus bas niveau le mois dernier, est légèrement remontée pour atteindre 16%, niveau qui reste très faible, selon un sondage mensuel Elabe pour Les Echos publié jeudi.Quelque 16% des Français interrogés ont dit lui faire confiance pour affronter efficacement les problèmes qui se posent au pays, une hausse de 2 points par rapport au précédent baromètre.La cote de confiance du président avait atteint le mois dernier son plus bas depuis son premier mandat en 2017, selon Elabe.Ce sondage intervient en pleine crise politique, enclenchée par la dissolution de l’Assemblée nationale en juin 2024.Depuis les législatives qui ont suivi, trois Premiers ministres, Michel Barnier, François Bayrou et Sébastien Lecornu se sont succédé, avec pour tous le même défi, faire voter un budget sans se faire censurer.D’après Elabe, 22% des Français interrogés ont dit faire confiance à Sébastien Lecornu.Parmi les autres personnalités politiques, Jordan Bardella, président du RN, reste en tête avec une cote de popularité de 39%, devant Marine Le Pen qui atteint 37%.La cote du président des Républicains (LR) Bruno Retailleau, ancien ministre de l’Intérieur, a baissé de trois points (27%). A gauche, Olivier Faure, patron du PS et au centre des actuels débats budgétaires, a perdu un point pour s’établir à 15%.L’ex-président Nicolas Sarkozy, incarcéré fin octobre à la suite de sa condamnation pour association de malfaiteurs dans le procès libyen, a lui gagné deux points de popularité, à 25%.L’enquête a été réalisée en ligne du 4 au 5 novembre auprès d’un échantillon de 1.000 personnes représentatif de la population âgée de 18 ans et plus, selon la méthode des quotas. La marge d’erreur est comprise entre 1,4 et 3,1 points.

Nancy Pelosi, Democratic giant, Trump foe, first woman House speaker, to retire

Nancy Pelosi, a towering figure in US politics and the first woman to serve as speaker of the House of Representatives, announced on Thursday that she will step down at the next election.Admired as a master strategist with a no-nonsense leadership style that delivered consistently for her party, the 85-year-old Democrat shepherded historic legislation through Congress as she navigated America’s bitter partisan divide.In later years, she became a key foe of President Donald Trump, twice leading his impeachment and stunning Washington in 2020 when images of her ripping up his speech to Congress were beamed on live television around the world.”I want you, my fellow San Franciscans, to be the first to know I will not be seeking reelection to Congress,” she said in a video statement pointedly aimed at her hometown constituents.”With a grateful heart, I look forward to my final year of service as your proud representative.”Pelosi — whose term ends in January 2027 — was the first woman to lead a major political party in the US Congress. Despite entering political office later in life, she quickly rose through the ranks to become a darling of liberal West Coast politics and, eventually, one of the most powerful women in US history.She is in her 19th term and has represented her San Francisco-area district for 38 years. But her fame centers especially on her renowned skills at the national level, leading her party for two decades.As House speaker for eight years, she was second in line to the presidency, after the vice president, including during Trump’s chaotic first term.She was revered for her ability to corral her often fractious caucus through difficult votes, including Barack Obama’s signature Affordable Care Act and Joe Biden’s infrastructure programs.Republicans painted her as the driving force behind a liberal elite that had turned its back on American values and was undermining the social fabric.- ‘No greater honor’ -The granddaughter of Italian immigrants, Pelosi was born in Baltimore where her father, Thomas D’Alesandro, was a mayor and congressman who schooled her in “retail politics” from a young age and staunchly backed Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal.Pelosi attended her first Democratic National Convention before hitting her teens and was pictured with John F. Kennedy at his inaugural ball when she was 20.She moved to San Francisco and raised five children with businessman Paul Pelosi while delving into Democratic politics before being elected to Congress at age 47.”Nancy Pelosi will be recorded as the greatest speaker in American history, the result of her tenacity, intellect, strategic acumen and fierce advocacy,” said Adam Schiff, a colleague in the California House delegation before he moved up to the Senate.A San Francisco liberal and multimillionaire, Pelosi is far from universally popular.Her status as a hate figure for the right was brought in stark relief when an intruder, apparently looking for the speaker, violently assaulted her husband in the runup to the 2022 midterm elections.And during the 2021 assault on the US Capitol, supporters of then-president Trump ransacked her office, and a crowd baying for blood chanted “Where’s Nancy?” as they desecrated the halls of Congress.Pelosi moved quickly after that to secure the second impeachment of Trump, whom she called the “deranged, unhinged, dangerous president of the United States.”Her legislative achievements include steering through Obama’s key health care reforms as well as massive economic packages after both the 2008 financial crisis and the Covid-19 pandemic.”I say to my colleagues in the House all the time, no matter what title they have bestowed upon me — speaker, leader, whip — there has been no greater honor for me than to stand on the House floor and say, I speak for the people of San Francisco,” Pelosi said.

Le procès de l’ex-patron de la DGSE pour complicité de tentative d’extorsion s’est ouvert

Jugé pour complicité de tentative d’extorsion à l’encontre d’un homme d’affaires en litige depuis des années avec la DGSE, l’ex-directeur général des services secrets français a répété jeudi à son procès à Bobigny qu’il n’avait jamais donné d’instruction visant à exercer “une forme quelconque de contrainte”.”Les choses ne se sont pas passées comme elles auraient dû”, a reconnu Bernard Bajolet, aujourd’hui âgé de 76 ans, à la barre du tribunal correctionnel. Patron de la Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure entre avril 2013 et mai 2017, Bernard Bajolet comparaît également pour atteinte arbitraire à la liberté individuelle par personne dépositaire de l’autorité publique.”Pour moi, il n’y avait pas de contrainte”, a-t-il affirmé en évoquant le moment où l’un de ses subordonnés lui a suggéré de valider une opération visant à s’entretenir avec Alain Dumenil, homme d’affaires franco-suisse impliqué dans pléthore d’affaires judiciaires et de litiges commerciaux, alors que celui-ci doit prendre un avion à l’aéroport Roissy-Charles de Gaulle.- “Pas une méthode appropriée” -Le 12 mars 2016, M. Dumenil est ainsi arrêté par la police aux frontières à l’aéroport alors qu’il doit se rendre en Suisse.Les policiers l’emmènent sous prétexte de devoir vérifier son passeport et le conduisent dans une salle.Deux hommes en civil appartenant à la DGSE entrent dans la pièce et informent M. Dumenil qu’il doit rembourser 15 millions d’euros à la France. Les agents, dont l’identité est classée secret défense, utilisent, selon une source judiciaire, “la menace”, notamment en lui montrant “un album de photographies de lui-même et de membres de sa famille, afin de lui faire comprendre que ses proches et lui-même étaient observés et suivis”.L’homme d’affaires s’emporte et annonce porter plainte. Les agents s’éclipsent.”Ce n’est pas du tout ce que j’ai autorisé, ce n’est pas du tout comme ça que je voyais les choses”, a assuré M. Bajolet, considérant que ce n’était “pas une méthode appropriée”.”Peut-être ai-je traité un peu rapidement” la validation de l’opération, mais “j’avais d’autres préoccupations” à cette époque, marquée par plusieurs attentats ou tentatives d’attentats en Europe, et particulièrement en France, s’est-il défendu.- Une “assurance” mal gérée -Cette affaire est “emblématique de la privatisation des moyens régaliens par un ex-grand serviteur de l’Etat pour obtenir un paiement indu et régler des comptes”, avait estimé auprès de l’AFP avant l’audience l’avocat de M. Dumenil, Me William Bourdon.Jeudi, les débats sont revenus sur le litige financier à l’origine de cette opération.Les services secrets estiment que l’homme d’affaires les a arnaqués et leur doit 15 millions d’euros, dont trois d’intérêts, suite à des manoeuvres financières qui lui ont valu d’être mis en examen pour banqueroute.Depuis la fin de la Première Guerre mondiale, les services de renseignements extérieurs gèrent un patrimoine privé confié par l’État dans une volonté d’indépendance de l’institution en cas d’occupation étrangère ou de disparition du gouvernement. C’est une “assurance”, en cas d'”effondrement de l’Etat ou de crise durable”, a expliqué M. Bajolet, qui juge toutefois que ces fonds ont été “mal placés par la DGSE”. À la fin des années 1990, les services secrets réalisent ainsi des investissements infructueux dans une société. Alain Dumenil est appelé à la rescousse mais, selon un article de Challenges datant de 2021, réalise alors, via une holding, un “tour de passe-passe” au détriment, notamment, de la DGSE.Il aurait ainsi transféré les parts de la holding détenues par la DGSE dans trois autres sociétés qu’il détenait également. Le procès doit durer jusqu’à vendredi soir.

Aux Etats-Unis, la paralysie budgétaire va déclencher l’annulation de milliers de vols

Des milliers de vols vont être annulés à partir de vendredi aux Etats-Unis en raison du blocage budgétaire qui s’éternise dans un contexte de confrontation politique entre républicains et démocrates.Le gouvernement américain a annoncé mercredi qu’il allait demander aux compagnies aériennes de supprimer des vols à compter de vendredi pour “réduire la pression” sur le …

Aux Etats-Unis, la paralysie budgétaire va déclencher l’annulation de milliers de vols Read More »

Equateur : une ministre américaine visite des installations pouvant servir de base militaires

La ministre américaine à la Sécurité intérieure, Kristi Noem, visite depuis mercredi des installations militaires en Equateur, où le gouvernement se propose de réautoriser des bases étrangères pour coopérer contre le trafic de drogues.Mme Noem, arrivée sur la base aérienne Eloy Alfaro, dans la ville de Manta, visite des “installations stratégiques” susceptibles de servir de “bases” …

Equateur : une ministre américaine visite des installations pouvant servir de base militaires Read More »

Stocks slip as investors weigh earnings, tariffs

US and European stocks sputtered Thursday as investors weighed another wave of corporate results, interest rates, the US government shutdown and a Supreme Court hearing on President Donald Trump’s tariffs.Wall Street’s tech-heavy Nasdaq and broad-based S&P 500 opened lower, retreating from gains in the previous day after fears of an AI bubble shook the markets earlier this week.Asian markets closed higher but Europe’s main indexes were down in afternoon deals.”The week began with doubts cast over the future returns on investments made in Artificial General Intelligence (AGI),” said David Morrison, analyst at Trade Nation.”Not only are the sums involved quite mind-boggling, but there are also concerns over the circularity of much of the investment,” he said.The more than month-long US government shutdown was also in focus, as US officials said they were cutting 10 percent of flight capacity in 40 busy airports. Analyst said jobs data on Wednesday had helped to improve the mood on trading floors.Jobs growth in the US private sector soared past analysts’ expectations in October, payroll firm ADP said, providing one of the few economic indicators in recent weeks as official data has been delayed due to the US government shutdown.Investors were also digesting news that a majority of the US Supreme Court was sceptical about the legality behind a swath of Trump’s sweeping tariffs, which also lent support to equities.”Is it good news? Paradoxically, not really,” said Swissquote Bank senior analyst Ipek Ozkardeskaya.”It brings uncertainty, renewed volatility, potentially more than $100 billion in refunds the US government may owe to other countries according to Bloomberg, and a deeper fiscal deficit,” she said.Investors were also reacting to the Bank of England’s decision, in a tight vote, to keep its key interest rate unchanged before the UK’s Labour government presents its budget this month.Four of the nine governors had voted to lower borrowing costs.A cut would likely have eased pressure on Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Labour government after finance minister Rachel Reeves on Tuesday paved the way for controversial tax hikes in her November 26 budget.Weighing on European sentiment were some poorly received company earnings and official data that showed industrial production in Germany rebounded less than expected in September.Shares in Hikma Pharmaceuticals slumped 11 percent on London’s top-tier FTSE 100 index after the company lowered its profit forecast.Franco-Dutch group Air France-KLM plunged more than 13 percent after it reported a drop in third-quarter net profit.In New York, shares in chip-maker Qualcomm fell despite a positive earnings report. Tesla shareholders, meanwhile, were due to decide on a pay package for Elon Musk that could reach as much as $1 trillion.And the European Union on Thursday announced a formal antitrust probe against stock exchange operators Nasdaq and Deutsche Boerse over “possible collusion” involving financial derivatives.- Key figures at around 1330 GMT -New York – Dow: FLAT at 47,325.11 pointsNew York – S&P 500: DOWN 0.1 percent at 6,789.83New York – Nasdaq Composite: DOWN 0.3 percent at 23,431.85London – FTSE 100: DOWN 0.2 percent at 9,762.53Paris – CAC 40: DOWN 0.8 percent at 8,010.21Frankfurt – DAX: DOWN 0.3 percent at 23.968.14Tokyo – Nikkei 225: UP 1.3 percent at 50,883.68 (close)Hong Kong – Hang Seng Index: UP 2.1 percent at 26,485.90 (close)Shanghai – Composite: UP 1.0 percent at 4,007.76 (close)Euro/dollar: UP at $1.1528 from $1.1488 on WednesdayPound/dollar: UP at $1.3091 from $1.3048Dollar/yen: DOWN at 153.57 yen from 154.13 yenEuro/pound: DOWN at 88.04 pence from 88.40 penceBrent North Sea Crude: DOWN 0.6 percent at $63.17 per barrelWest Texas Intermediate: DOWN 0.6 percent at $59.25 per barrelburs-bcp-lth/jj