Madagascar’s president, from coup to impeachmentTue, 14 Oct 2025 15:45:38 GMT
Andry Rajoelina first came to power in Madagascar in his mid-thirties in a 2009 military-backed coup after he was able to rally thousands to anti-government protests.On Tuesday, the national assembly voted to impeach the 51-year-old after he reportedly left the country as soldiers from the elite CAPSAT unit joined weeks of youth-led demonstrations against his …
Madagascar’s president, from coup to impeachmentTue, 14 Oct 2025 15:45:38 GMT Read More »
Bangladesh factory blaze kills at least 16: fire official
At least 16 people were killed Tuesday when a fire tore through a chemical and garments factory in Bangladesh’s capital Dhaka, officials said.The blaze began in the factory’s warehouse before spreading to a nearby multi-storey garments facility, said Tajul Islam Chowdhury, director at the Fire Service Department.All the bodies were recovered from the garments factory, Chowdhury told reporters, confirming the toll.Outside the factory, distraught relatives searched for loved ones. Abdur Rahman, 19, said he was looking for his brother Robin.”I found one of his colleagues, who escaped by breaking a window. He saw my brother Robin inside,” Rahman told AFP. “He didn’t make it.”Several others held up pictures of missing loved ones, pleading for information.”The deceased appeared to have suffered severe inhalation injuries from the chemicals, as there were highly flammable materials stacked inside,” Chowdhury told reporters.Authorities have yet to enter the chemical warehouse.Tahmina Sharmin, 34, a witness, said she heard a loud explosion before the area was filled with flames and smoke.”People were startled and didn’t know what to do at first,” she told AFP. She said she was among the first to respond before fire crews arrived.More than 26,500 fires were reported last year alone in Bangladesh, where safety standards are lax and often ignored. In 2021, at least 52 people were killed including many children when a fire swept through a food processing factory.Bangladesh’s worst fire took place in 2012, when a blaze ripped through a garment factory on Dhaka’s outskirts, killing at least 111 people and injuring more than 200 others.
Israel identifies hostage bodies, returns 45 Palestinian dead
The Israeli military said Tuesday that the remains of four deceased hostages returned by Hamas have been identified, including those of a Nepalese student.Separately, a Gaza hospital said it has received the bodies of 45 Palestinians that had been handed back by Israel, also as part of US President Donald Trump’s plan to end the Gaza war. In a statement, the Israeli military named two of the victims as Guy Iluz, an Israeli national, and Bipin Joshi, an agriculture student from Nepal.The names of the other two hostages have not yet been released at the request of their families, the statement added.Iluz, who was 26 at the time of the attack, had been attending the Nova music festival when Hamas-led militants launched their assault on October 7, 2023. He reportedly tried to flee and hid in a tree, from where he made his last contact with his parents before being captured.The military said Iluz was wounded and abducted alive, but later died of his injuries due to a lack of medical treatment while in captivity.It did not specify when he died, though his death was announced in December 2023.The military said the final causes of death for the four hostages will be determined following the completion of forensic examinations.Joshi, who was 22 at the time of the attack, was part of a Nepalese agricultural training group that had arrived in Israel three weeks before the Hamas assault.He was abducted from Kibbutz Alumim.”It is assessed that he was murdered in captivity during the first months of the war,” the military said.- ‘Courageous’ Joshi -Joshi’s Nepalese friend Himanchal Kattel, the group’s only survivor, told AFP that the attackers had thrown a grenade into the shelter, which Joshi caught and threw away before it exploded, saving Kattel’s life.Joshi was a “courageous” student, his teacher Sushil Neupane said.”We were deeply hoping that Bipin would return home. This news hurts us all… our hope has died,” he said. Hamas returned the four bodies on Monday, following the release of all 20 surviving captives as part of the ceasefire deal brokered by Trump.”It’s difficult. You know, we kind of had the rollercoaster on the up yesterday and now we’re on the down,” said Rotem Kuper, son of Amiran Kuper, whose remains are still held in Gaza.”We need to re-gather and continue strongly. You know, we pretty much have no choice,” Kuper told journalists.Meanwhile, the bodies of 45 Palestinians that had been in Israeli custody were handed over to the Nasser Medical Centre in Gaza, the hospital said.Under the Trump deal, Israel was to turn over the bodies of 15 Palestinians for every deceased Israeli returned.- Slow recovery -Palestinian militants are still holding the bodies of 24 hostages, which are expected to be returned under the terms of the ceasefire agreement.”We will not rest untill all 24 hostages are brought home,” said the Hostages and Missing Families Forum, the main Israeli group campaigning for the release of all hostages. As Israelis awaited the return of the remaining bodies, the hostages released on Monday were gradually recovering.”Being underground affects all the body’s systems,” said Noa Eliakim Raz, director at Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva, where some of the surviving hostages are being treated.”There is no fixed timetable — each person is recovering at their own pace. It’s important that they heal slowly,” she told journalists, adding that many hostages had experienced weight loss.Twins Ziv and Gali Berman, who were reunited on Monday, said they had been separated throughout their captivity and held in complete isolation, according to Channel 12.The two, who were 28 when abducted, described enduring long periods of hunger, alternating with short intervals when they were better fed, the report said.
Foot: le Japon bat le Brésil pour la première fois de son histoire
Un succès bon pour la confiance: le Japon a surmonté une mauvaise première période pour réussir une belle remontée et battre le Brésil de Carlo Ancelotti (3-2), une première dans son histoire, mardi en match amical à Tokyo.Paulo Henrique (26e) et Gabriel Martinelli (32e) ont marqué en première période pour le Brésil, qui sortait d’une victoire convaincante contre la Corée du Sud quatre jours plus tôt à Séoul (5-0).Mais les Nippons sont revenus en seconde période avec d’autres intentions et ont inscrit trois buts, par le Monégasque Takumi Minamino (52e), puis Keito Nakamura (62e) et Ayase Ueda (71e), au plus grand plaisir des 45.000 spectateurs.Ce succès est le premier du Japon face au Brésil en 14 tentatives (11 victoires brésiliennes et deux nuls jusqu’à présent). C’est également la deuxième défaite des Auriverde depuis que le sélectionneur italien Carlo Ancelotti, parti du Real Madrid, a pris l’équipe en mains au mois de mai, après un revers en Bolivie (1-0) en qualifications pour le Mondial.”Je suis très clair sur ce qui s’est passé, l’équipe s’est effondrée mentalement après la première bévue”, a estimé le sélectionneur italien après la rencontre, “ça a été la plus grosse erreur de l’équipe”.”Le Brésil n’a pas eu l’attitude nécessaire en deuxième mi-temps pour stopper la réaction du Japon. Nous avons perdu un peu de notre bonne attitude et de notre pensée positive”, a ajouté l’Italien.Japon et Brésil sont tous deux qualifiés pour la Coupe du monde, qui se déroule l’été prochain aux Etats-Unis, au Mexique et au Canada.Ancelotti avait largement fait tourner son équipe par rapport à celle victorieuse en Corée, reposant notamment Estevao et Rodrygo. Martinelli et Henrique faisaient équipe avec Vinicius en attaque.Pour Carlo Ancelotti il vaut mieux “faire ces erreurs maintenant que lors de la Coupe du Monde”. “Nous devons apprendre des erreurs que nous avons commises en seconde période”, a-t-il estimé.Le Japon avait lui aussi plusieurs titulaires habituels absents, dont l’ailier de Brighton Kaoru Mitoma et le millieu de Liverpool Wataru Endo.
Cameroon opposition candidate Tchiroma declares victory in presidential voteTue, 14 Oct 2025 15:18:15 GMT
Cameroonian former minister-turned-opposition challenger Issa Tchiroma Bakary claimed election victory on Tuesday against incumbent President Paul Biya, who has been in power for 43 years, although official results for the weekend vote are not expected for two weeks. Biya, aged 92, the world’s oldest serving head of state, is vying for an eighth term to extend …
L’A320 d’Airbus détrône le Boeing 737, devenant l’avion le plus vendu au monde
Le monocouloir 737 du constructeur américain Boeing, dont le premier exemplaire a été livré en 1968, a été détrôné en septembre par l’A320, du grand rival européen Airbus, entré en exploitation en 1988, selon les données respectives des deux groupes.L’avionneur américain a annoncé mardi sur son site internet avoir livré 55 avions en septembre, dont quarante 737 MAX – dernière version de la famille du 737. Cela porte le total à 12.254 exemplaires du 737 livrés depuis sa sortie, en incluant les versions d’affaires.Mais, à fin septembre, Airbus avait livré 12.257 exemplaires de son A320 (versions d’affaires incluses), d’après les chiffres annoncés le 8 octobre.Les deux familles ont connu des mises à jour importantes depuis leurs tout premiers vols, en particulier au niveau des moteurs et de leurs composants pour réduire notamment leur consommation de carburant, leur volume sonore.Mais les livraisons du 737 ont été brutalement interrompues pendant vingt mois dans le monde entier – davantage en Chine – après deux accidents du 737 MAX 8 en 2018 et en 2019, qui ont fait 346 morts.Sa production est actuellement plafonnée par le régulateur aérien (FAA) à 38 par mois depuis mars 2024, à la suite d’un incident en vol sur un 737 MAX 9 ayant fait quelques blessés légers.La direction de Boeing, qui a engagé des mesures drastiques pour améliorer la qualité de la production, compte demander d’ici la fin de l’année l’autorisation de passer à 42 par mois, puis au-delà courant 2026.De son côté, Airbus a pâti ces dernières années de problèmes de moteurs et signalait encore fin juillet des “problèmes persistants d’approvisionnement en moteurs sur le programme A320”.Pour se rasséréner, Boeing peut néanmoins se réjouir d’avoir livré en septembre le 2.000e exemplaire du 737 MAX depuis sa sortie en 2017. C’est la compagnie irlandaise à bas coûts Ryanair qui l’a reçu, avec neuf autres exemplaires.Boeing a également livré en septembre sept 787 Dreamliner, trois gros porteurs 777 Fret et quatre 767 (deux Fret et deux ravitailleurs militaires). Le groupe a livré 160 avions au troisième trimestre et 440 depuis le début de l’année.En septembre, il a engrangé 96 commandes brutes dont 32 pour des 737 MAX et 64 pour des 787 Dreamliner. Après annulations et conversions, les commandes nettes ressortent à 48 avions à fin septembre et à 870 depuis début 2025.Le carnet de commandes de la branche commerciale (BCA) contenait 6.579 avions à fin septembre, soit plus de 600 milliards de dollars.
Lawsuit filed to void Ghana-US deportation dealTue, 14 Oct 2025 15:11:48 GMT
A civil society group has filed a lawsuit seeking to declare illegal the deportation deal between Ghana and the US government, and the way the west African deportees are being treated, court documents show.Ghanaian leader John Mahama disclosed last month that his country had struck a deal with the United States to accept deportees from …
Lawsuit filed to void Ghana-US deportation dealTue, 14 Oct 2025 15:11:48 GMT Read More »







