Process ‘underway’ to release S. Koreans detained in US raid
Hundreds of South Koreans detained in a massive US immigration raid were being released Thursday to begin the journey home, Seoul said after warning the “bewildering” episode could have a chilling effect on future investment. South Koreans made up the majority of the 475 people arrested last week at a Hyundai-LG battery factory site in the state of Georgia, triggering a delicate effort to resolve the thorny situation between close allies.Seoul confirmed that the “release process was underway” for the workers, who were set to fly back to the South on a chartered plane due to arrive home Friday afternoon.Photographs run by the Yonhap news agency showed the workers gathering around buses, some seen smiling and waving after spending days in US detention.South Korea is a staunch security ally and major investor for the United States, with its top companies pouring billions into developing factories and plants in America.South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called the raid “bewildering” and noted it could have a chilling effect on future investment.Lee blamed the raid on “cultural differences” saying that in South Korea, American nationals teaching English while on a tourist visa was not seen as “a serious issue”.After the detentions, South Korean companies “can’t help but question whether setting up a plant in the US is worth the potential risks,” Lee said.”This could have a significant impact on future investment decisions, particularly when evaluating the feasibility of direct operations in the US,” he added.Many South Korean companies have relied on bringing in their own workforce during project development periods, with industry sources telling AFP it is common practice to use visa workarounds to bring in skilled labour and avoid project delays.Lee said that for South Korean companies “when setting up facilities, equipment and factories, skilled technicians are essential”.”Someone has to install the machinery, and the necessary workforce simply doesn’t exist locally in the US,” he said, adding that the companies had long relied on bringing in their engineers for short-term periods to train local workers.”But now, even that basic request is being rejected,” he said.- Handcuff shock -Lee said Seoul was negotiating with Washington “to ensure that visa issuance for investment-related purposes operates normally”. This could include “securing additional quotas” or even creating a new visa category, he said, adding that he trusted the “US side will find a solution”.”But under the current circumstances, Korean companies will have little choice but to hesitate about making direct investments in the US,” he added.The operation was the largest single-site raid conducted since US President Donald Trump launched a sweeping immigration crackdown, a top political priority since he returned to office in January.The raid came less than a month after Trump welcomed Lee to the White House.Images of the South Korean workers being chained and handcuffed have caused widespread alarm, and Seoul has said it negotiated to make sure the workers were not handcuffed again as they were repatriated.The raid highlights lopsided priorities in the Trump administration, which is “actively bringing in large-scale production facilities while neglecting to train local workers,” said Kim Dae-jong, professor of business at Sejong University.”As a result, South Koreans are having to train the local workforce. Logically, the two sides’ workers should be allowed to work together, not be hindered from doing so,” he told AFP.But Cho Dong-geun, professor emeritus of economics at Myongji University warned that South Korean companies had long been aware of the visa problems. “It is regrettable that there was no earlier intervention to address these matters in response to President Trump’s anti-immigration agenda, as it should have been acted on more swiftly.”
Manhunt underway for shooter who killed Trump ally Charlie Kirk
A manhunt was underway Thursday after conservative activist Charlie Kirk was shot to death at a university in Utah, a killing that sparked fears of worsening political violence in the United States.President Donald Trump lashed out at the “radical left” after the shooting of Kirk, a powerful voice in conservative US politics at just 31 years old, and vowed to crack down on those responsible for what he described as “a dark moment for America.””For years those on the radical left have compared wonderful Americans like Charlie to Nazis and the world’s worst mass murderers and criminals,” a somber-looking Trump said in a video message from the Oval Office just hours after Kirk’s death.”This kind of rhetoric is directly responsible for the terrorism that we’re seeing in our country today.”My administration will find each and every one of those who contributed to this atrocity, and to other political violence, including the organizations that fund it and support it.”Kirk was shot in the neck while speaking at an event at Utah Valley University on Wednesday. Video from the scene showed him addressing a large crowd when the sound of a single shot rang out. The father-of-two appeared to collapse in his chair before the camera swiftly moved and sounds of panic erupted in the audience.The Utah Department of Public Safety said the shooter, dressed in dark clothing, fired from a nearby rooftop in what authorities called a “targeted attack.”Students at the university described the shooting as “crazy” and “scary”.”It makes me feel like I should be very careful about expressing my political ideas,” said Samuel Kimball, a software engineering student, told AFP.”If I was someone considering going into politics, I’d be afraid to get shot.”- Confusion -The shooter remained at large despite door-to-door searches by federal, state and local officers.Orem city mayor David Young said multiple law enforcement agencies were investigating but confirmed that the suspect had not yet been apprehended.The FBI established a digital line for the public to share tips.There was initial confusion over the manhunt, with FBI Director Kash Patel posting on social media platform X that the “subject” had been detained before walking that back an hour later.Trump ordered flags on government buildings — including the White House — to be lowered to half-staff until Sunday in an illustration of how important Kirk was in the 79-year-old Republican’s orbit.Utah Governor Spencer Cox, a Republican, called the killing a “political assassination” and issued a stark warning to the perpetrator during an emotional news conference.”I want to make it crystal clear right now to whoever did this: we will find you, we will try you, and we will hold you accountable to the furthest extent of the law,” Cox said. “And I just want to remind people that we still have the death penalty here in the state of Utah.”- ‘He fell back’ -Former Utah congressman Jason Chaffetz, who was at the rally, told Fox News the shooting had happened while Kirk was doing a question-and-answer session with the crowd.”First question was about religion. He went on for about 15-20 minutes. Second question, interestingly, was about transgender shooters, mass shooters, and in the midst of that, the shot rang out,” a visibly shaken Chaffetz told the network.”As soon as that shot went out, he fell back,” he said. “Everybody hit the deck… a lot of people started screaming, and then everybody started running.”- Turning Point -Kirk had an outsized influence in US politics, powering Trump’s support among younger voters — a key factor in the Republican’s return to power last year.He co-founded Turning Point USA in 2012 to drive conservative viewpoints among young people, his natural showmanship turning him into a go-to spokesman on television networks.Kirk used his enormous audiences on Instagram and YouTube to build support for anti-immigration policies, outspoken Christianity and gun ownership, and to spread carefully edited clips of his interactions during debates at his many college events.News of the shooting provoked horror across the political spectrum.”Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord,” Vice President JD Vance posted on social media.Figures on the left also condemned the attack and urged calm.”There is no place in our country for this kind of violence. It must end now,” former president Joe Biden wrote on X.California Governor Gavin Newsom — a frequent foil for right-wing figures like Kirk — called the attack “disgusting, vile, and reprehensible.” Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords — a Democrat who herself survived an assassination attempt — said she was “horrified” by the attack.Kirk’s killing came three months after a Minnesota man shot dead a Democratic lawmaker and her husband in their home.
Plus de 2 millions de jeunes en situation de handicap en France
Plus de 2 millions de jeunes âgés de 5 à 20 ans et vivant chez eux souffrent d’au moins un handicap en France métropolitaine, selon une étude de la direction des statistiques du ministère de la Santé (Drees) portant sur 2022, publiée jeudi.Dans cette étude, une personne est considérée comme handicapée quand elle est sévèrement limitée que ce soit d’un point de vue sensoriel, physique ou cognitif, quand elle est fortement restreinte dans les actes essentiels du quotidien, ou quand elle a depuis au moins six mois des restrictions importantes dans les activités que les autres font habituellement. “Selon que l’on retient uniquement une seule définition ou plusieurs parmi les trois, en 2022, entre 250.000 et 2,3 millions de jeunes âgés de 5 à 20 ans vivant à domicile en France métropolitaine sont handicapés, soit entre 1,9% et 18% de cette tranche d’âge”, indique la Drees dans son étude.Dans le détail, 16% des jeunes déclarent au moins une limitation fonctionnelle importante (en majorité liée à la mémoire, la concentration et au relationnel), 3% évoquent une restriction forte dans les actes essentiels du quotidien et 2% une restriction, depuis au moins six mois, dans les activités que les gens font habituellement. Le cumul de ces trois critères, signalant une forme sévère de handicap, reste rare (0,7%), souligne la Drees. Parallèlement, plus d’un quart des jeunes (27%) déclarent avoir au moins une altération importante de fonctions organiques, c’est-à-dire qui touche la motricité (paralysie, amputation, faiblesses musculaires…), la perception visuelle ou auditive, l’aptitude à parler, les fonctions métaboliques (l’insuffisance rénale, respiratoire, cardiaque…), ou encore qui affecte le fonctionnement du cerveau ou du psychisme.Ces altérations, parfois appelées déficiences, renvoient à des difficultés susceptibles d’impacter le quotidien, l’autonomie ou la participation sociale sans forcément aboutir à une situation de handicap, précise l’étude. Quant au taux de scolarisation, y compris l’enseignement à domicile, par correspondance ou en établissement spécialisé, il “varie sensiblement” selon la situation vis-à-vis du handicap.Les jeunes sans aucune limitation ou restriction ont un taux de scolarisation de 91,3% contre 85,5% pour ceux déclarant au moins une limitation fonctionnelle importante et 77,2% pour ceux déclarant avoir une restriction dans les activités quotidiennes.
China-US talks mark a ‘small step’ towards Xi meeting Trump
Back-to-back talks between the United States and China’s top diplomats and defence chiefs could mark “a small step” towards a meeting between the leaders of the two countries, analysts said, but cautioned against expecting an imminent summit.The last time US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping met was in 2019 so all eyes would be on any discussions of flashpoint issues like Taiwan, the South China Sea and US tariffs.Tensions between the world’s two biggest economies simmered this year, but have significantly cooled since April, when both countries slapped escalating tariffs on each others’ exports.Trump and Xi last spoke in June over the phone.The US leader said in August that he expects to visit China this year or shortly afterwards, noting that economic ties between the two countries have improved.While Xi has not publicly commented on a potential Trump visit, Wednesday’s talks between the countries’ defence and foreign affairs heads have raised hopes of a face-to-face meeting between the two leaders.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in a telephone call on Wednesday that he wanted constructive and open dialogue with China.Wang described the call with Rubio as fruitful but warned that “recent negative words and deeds from the US side have undermined China’s legitimate rights and interests”, according to a Chinese foreign ministry statement. The talks were “a continuance of previous conversations and gestures made by both leaders and negotiations on the trade deal”, said Dylan Loh, an associate professor at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University.”It is, to me, a positive small step but there are many more steps to make,” Loh told AFP.- Uncertainty ahead -In a separate video call the same day, China’s defence minister warned Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth that “containing, deterring, or interfering with China will be futile”, state broadcaster CCTV reported.The two conversations could “pave the way for a Trump-Xi meeting”, said Chong Ja Ian, an associate professor of political science at the National University of Singapore.”But none of that is clear at this point,” Chong told AFP.”The president is known to make and change decisions quickly, so it may be premature to predict that some leaders’ meeting is imminent,” he cautioned, referring to Trump.The calls came days after Xi presided over a major parade to mark the end of World War II, bringing together leaders including Russia’s Vladimir Putin and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.Trump accused the three leaders of conspiring against the United States.Xi is unlikely to confirm the date and possibility of a meet with Trump until there is an “agreed scripted list of items to talk about” with his counterpart, said Lim Tai Wei, a professor and East Asia expert at Japan’s Soka University.”China’s unique political system does not allow any surprises to spring up during any summit with Trump,” Lim told AFP. NTU’s Loh said that there was always an expectation that the two leaders may meet during an upcoming APEC summit between late October and early November, which is being held in Korea’s southern city of Gyeongju.”However, given the rapid changes internally and externally, you never really quite know,” Loh added.




